Interested in building/buying a therapy pool for an existing facility or a new venture, but don't know where to start? Come hear how it's done from people who have "been there, done that" – from the Team which now spearheads Project Development at USA Swimming.
Whether you are an entrepreneur wanting to launch your own practice or an institution (such as a hospital, private practice or rehab center) wanting to bring a therapy pool in-house, this workshop will teach you the steps necessary to make the venture profitable. From strategic planning, to construction, to staffing, to cost containment, to billing and marketing, Mick and Sue Nelson will demonstrate how to apply the principles of the 4 Aquatic Pillars and more to ensure your project succeeds where others have failed.
1. Determine factors that will help in selecting consultants, architects and engineers.
2. Understand the importance of the 4 Aquatic Pillars in managing your project’s financial risk.
3. Understand the strategic considerations that go into crafting your mission and vision statements and business plan, including developing an organizational chart for your staff and management.
4. Gain a better understanding of the design, bid and construction process.
5. Initiate a marketing (medical referrals, advertising, promotions, etc.) and public relations campaign.
6. Conduct training and organize a grand opening. Analyze options for pool construction, water treatment, air handling and heating/cooling.
7. Craft a sample operational budget using a spreadsheet (provided on flash drive) in order to predict future income and expenses of the pool.
8. Demonstrate the ability to control escalating cost through managing the following: installing energy efficient heaters, controlling HVAC operations, making use of actual or chemical blankets, not wasting chemicals, installing supplemental systems (like ozonators), altering hours of operation, and hiring appropriate staff.
9. Describe options for altering pool programming to increase new market share and retain old.
10. Understand the quirks and pitfalls of billing for aquatic therapy (including LCDs for Medicare) and learn how to maximize reimbursement for aquatic services.