Is anyone else shocked at the sudden jump in fee's-

Does this effect your programing-

Please note that as part of these changes, effective July 1, 2011, your authorized provider fees will be as outlined in the table below. If you have been recently notified of price increases, we apologize for the multiple messages. A revised Authorized Provider Agreement will be sent to you by the end of the year.

Pricing Schedule for American Red Cross Health & Safety Training       

Course name

AP fee per participant

First Aid

$19

CPR + AED (Adult)

$19

CPR + AED (Pediatrics)

$19

First Aid + CPR + AED (Adult)

$27

First Aid + CPR + AED (Pediatrics)

$27

First Aid + CPR + AED (Adult + Pediatrics)

$27

CPR + AED for the Professional Rescuer

$27

Administering Emergency Oxygen

$10

Bloodborne Pathogens

$10

Responding to Emergencies (Adult + Pediatric)

$35

Emergency Medical Response

$19

Review/Challenge Class – First Aid

$19

Review/Challenge Class – CPR + AED (Adult)

$19

Review/Challenge Class – CPR + AED (Pediatrics)

$19

Review/Challenge Class – First Aid + CPR + AED (Adult)

$19

Review/Challenge Class – First Aid + CPR + AED (Adult + Pediatrics)

$19

Review/Challenge Class – CPR + AED for the Professional Rescuer

$19

To Whom It May Concern:Taylor, SabrinaReview/Challenge Class – Administering Emergency Oxygen

$8

Review/Challenge Class – Emergency Medical Response

$19

Sports Injury Prevention & First Aid with CPR

$27

Asthma Inhaler Training

$8

Basic Aid Training

$10

Cat and Dog First Aid

$19

Epinepherine Auto-Injector Training

$8

Wilderness First Aid

$19

Babysitter’s Training

$10

Nurse Assistant Training

$50

Learn to Swim – Levels 1-6

$5

Parend & Child Aquatics

$5

Basic Water Rescue Review

$5

Lifeguard

$35

Review Class – Lifeguarding

$35

Waterfront Lifeguarding

$35

Water Park

$35

*$35 will be the maximum fee per participant for participants taking training for multiple certifications.

Views: 968

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Regarding the $5 per person for lessons, we tell the parents our guards are ARC WSI certified but have given them the option if they want the ARC Swim Lesson certificate for their child their fee will be increased by $5. Most dont care about the ARC "certification" so they dont pay the extra $5 fee.
I have been an ARC instructor for 20+ years, mostly under an Authorized Provider agreement. When we were told June 15 about these OUTRAGEOUS changes, I mentioned that such short notice was in contradiction to the AP, which says we will get 30 days notice. The reply? " National has decided that AP agreements are not legally binding and therefore do not need to be honored." My boss mis-understood when the fees were presented to her and thinks everything is $19. Learn to swim fees will discourage folks from offering the wallet size certificates.( There are certs available as juvenile or mature on the WSI CD-ROM anyway!) the justification I was given for this jump? "Red Cross needs to put the value in its product. Since a) certs are for 2 years and b) print materials will now be optional ( available as ebooks), ARC needs to make up lost monies makes more sense to me.
We also do many courses for staff and the community. Now that our national organization (YMCA) is encouraging everyone to use the new Y lifeguard program ( to be released in the Fall, when ARC will also release theirs), ARC could lose beaucoup bucks from Y's everywhere. I am considering cross-training to both Y LG & swim instructor. Its just sad to see all the hard work and dedication of so many possibly go by-the-by.

I agree. This is shocking and probably will force facilities to use other agency's courses. My concern also is the fee to submit a Learn to Swim course record. To start charging $5.00 per student for the chapter to do nothing for us (Authorized Provider) in an insult. I will either stop teaching the ARC courses, or we will turn in 1 name for Learn to Swim per year for each of my 8 instructors. We teach nearly 900 students per year- our program fees will not support this increase.

The lifeguarding course may also become a thing of the past for my facility. We teach lifeguarding to 100 students per year- many from poor parts of the city that have a hard time with our current fees.

As a 46 year instructor and insstructor trainer- I can only say Good Luck keeping the AP business.

Hi everyone. I’m Erich from Red Cross national headquarters. I’ve read through your comments and recognize that we haven’t done a great job communicating with you. That is our bad. We need to do a better job. That being said, I’d like to share with you our perspective on the new fee structure, as well as hopefully clear some of the confusion.

The most important thing I want to say is that our commitment to our mission – helping people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies, including learn-to-swim and being safe in and around water has not changed.  In fact, we are actually trying to broaden how we reach out to under-served and at-risk communities and we look to you for support.  We will absolutely work with communities that cannot afford to pay for such training (and with potential sponsors in those communities) to provide the training at a reduced or lower cost.

However, it does take investment to develop and maintain our Learn-to-Swim program. Historically, the Red Cross absorbed most of this cost, with most facilities paying a nominal or no fee at all for the use of the Red Cross curriculum. As most of you engaged in running a program know, it isn’t really possible to maintain a high quality program without a fee structure to sustain it. So, we are looking for a small portion of the fee people pay for their training to go back to the Red Cross, so that we can continue to maintain a high quality training program. And as I said, we will work with facilities in underserved communities to ensure the training remains available.

We also ask that you contact us if you need time to work the new fee structure into your budget cycle. We can certainly be flexible!

For more than 95 years the Red Cross has been committed to reducing the number of drownings by creating programs that teach people how to swim and how to enjoy water-related activities safely. Countless lives have been saved because of your support and efforts to implement Red Cross programs at your facilities. In order to continue this legacy we need your help so that we can continue to create programs based on the latest research, science and instructional design. We also want to explore developing new resources and additional ways to help our valued aquatic providers deliver training.

So, as you consider your options, I hope you will call us and make sure any confusion about the changes is cleared up. We are flexible, and we believe the training programs that we provide and that you conduct at your facilities are second to none. We just want to keep it that way. I hope most sincerely that we will continue to work with all of you. Please don’t hesitate to call us with any questions or concerns.

In the past I paid fees for books and I know the Red cross made money off of those sales, I was always under the impression that these dollars helped develop programs. I also know that much of the development of these programs is done with volunteers, look at  the front pages of any ARC text. Finally I pay fees to the red cross for the certification that my WSI's get when they take a course. I do not think that program development is suddenly the change that needs funding from a $5 per participant fee. One estimate believes that this fee when imposed could raise over 10 million dollars in California in one year. When you put 50 states in that pot and add up there fees the number could be staggering.
Hi Jim -- Quite frankly, the old model was unsustainable but just let me reiterate: we are absolutely willing to work with communities that cannot afford these programs and if you if you need time to work the new fee structure into your budget cycle, please give us a call.

There needs to be some sort of compromise or the water safety part of ARC may just fade away.

Why does ARC need to put out new materiel every five years if it is not recouping the fees. The five dollars per student on a course record seems outrageous.   ARC will either see folks only turning in one course record with a few students on it, to maintain their cert or people just walking away from ARC altogether.

Right now people in our community are careful with how they are spending their money- it is not as simple as just passing the fee along to our customers. (let alone the how our budgets work).

The feeling i keep hearing in our community is: This is so sad, or i am recomending looking at different options, we are developing our own....

Hi Sabrina. We really are willing to work with communities that cannot afford these programs or if you need time to work this into your budget cycle. Send me a direct message and I’ll make sure someone gets back to you.

A few years ago our local chapter implemented a charge per course record for Learn-to-Swim records which they had not done previously.  Within 9 months they retracted the policy because they lost the ability to accurately track the number of LTS participants in the chapter because an overwhelming number of facilities and instructors simply stopped submitting course records other than their one per year to keep authorized.

I have seen it happen before so I have no doubt it IS going to happen nationally if this fee structure remains in place.

As a result of their previous folly I have been told by my local chapter that are NOT adopting the $5 per student LTS fee locally...

The learn to swim fee is really not an issue.  How many WSIs are out there teaching courses and turning in paper work?  My past 10 years here I can't even find WSIs and it is not worth doing the whole course, just to teach 4-7 years olds how to swim for a few weeks.

Last night we gave out our swim lesson certificates.  2 pieces of paper - first their name with the level they just participated in with lots of colors and stickers and the 2nd for the parents showing what skills were reviewed and or mastered.  One Dad brought the cert back because of a misspelling.  I quickly printed out a new one, gave it to him and he said "you forgot the dinosaur stickers he really wants the dinosaur stickers on it".

The bigger issue is with the Lg/CPRO certs --- $35.  My staff did not mind paying $5 every year for CPRO and $10 every 3rd year for Lg/CPRO.  They knew it was helping the local chapter out.

Our local chapter is already feeling the pain.  Disaster relief donations will be effected with this negative press.  All the local APs are meeting next week to figure out what can be done for our chapter.  Marketing research suggest it takes 10 positives to make up for 1 negative.

Erich,

I understand ARC's desire to obtain funds for programming, however, ARC needs to consider the ultimate result of any changes they make, and whether those changes will generate positive or negative results for ARC.

By requiring a $5 fee for all names on a swim roster, facilities will simply turn in the minimum amount to maintain instructor certifications. They will also remove the ARC name from all promotional materials and modify any handouts to prevent ARC from any recourse. You must  look at how that will affect ARC.

ARC receives funding from entities such as United Way based on reports touting the number of people ARC is reaching through their programs. Typically, those swim rosters generate alot of donations to ARC. Without them, ARC is going to lose significant funds. Therefore, the $5 fee for each participant will ultimately result in lost funds, not additional revenue.

The change in fees for course certifications, while very disturbing that it was elevated so drastically, will ultimately result in additional funds for ARC, that is if facilities don't decide to go to another recognized certification with lower fees.

I will maintain using ARC for certifications, because I believe it is the better program out there for the fee, even with the increase. However, I will not continue to use ARC for swim lessons, as the cost is more than my facility can afford. We provide about 5,000 children with free swim lessons annually, so the cost would have to be directly absorbed by my facility, and that is not feasible. I also do not want to raise the fee on the additional 5,000 lessons we do charge for, as that may decrease my registration numbers.

Definitely, ARC will be affected by this policy change. The question you must ask is: "Is this the affect ARC wants? I suggest ARC reconsider this policy and determine other ways of generating the desired funds needed, this one isn't going to work!

I had considered not turning in course records on a regular basis and only turn them in to keep certifications current.  However when I looked at the authorized provider agreement it looks as if I would be violating the agreement if I did not.  Am I reading the agreement correctly?

RSS

© 2014   Created by AI Connect.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service