Does anyone have any experience with this program? Good or bad? I have been approached by a certified instructor in this program and she wants to rent pool space. Looking forward to any feedback you can give me.

Views: 1246

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've also been approached, and had to say 'no thanks.'  The instructor needed a quiet space at the same time everyday, 5 days a week, which wouldn't work with our programming.  Customers also pay directly to ISR, who then cuts checks to the instructor & facility, and their proposed 90/10 profit sharing didn't make it worth any adjustments in programming needed to fit them in.

Thanks.

Hi Alexa,

Yes it is true they would need to have space available to them 5 days/week but I don't know why it would necessarily need to be a quiet area.  I teach similar lessons (PediaSwim/Infant Aquatics) and the thing I have told pools is that once the children have gone through my program assumming your facility does not already offer programs for children under the age of three, these would be new students for them when they get older.  I have offered an 80/20 split with pools and they seem to be ok with that.  Check out www.infantaquatics.com or www.southwestaquatics.com or www.littlefinsswim.com for more information.  Hope this helps!

Thanks Marci for the insight.

Alexa,

Marci offers classes at our pool - we are a community association and I contract with instructors to fill the void for ages we do not teach - under 3 years. I have also work with ISR Instructors.

Since we are a private community association, I am required by our board to get certificates of insurance from each instructor - with our associations listed as additional insured. By having a certificate of insurance - you will be notified if someone teaching at your pool drops their coverage. and yes - the instuctors pay a portion of instructional fees to the association.

Bottom line - the instruction works - i have seen it w/ my own eyes. I am happy to have it offered to our community.

sara

We have no experience with these types of programs, I have seen them being publicized. We have been hesitant to do anything with children under the age of 18 months, this "arbitrary" age is something we base on past experience, demand and the old CNCA guidelines for teaching infants and toddlers. I would be curiouos to know what you decide and more curious to know the financial arrangement you come up with should you choose to do this. 

Thanks Jim. I will keep you posted. We do offer parent/infant lessons as part of our learn to swim program, so I am hesitating at letting this group "rent" the facility. But I wanted to be open to at least a discussion.

I began renting space to an ISR instructor this past October. As I had heard many pros and cons of this program I certainly 'treaded lightly'. Forgive the pun. After several proposals/presentations from the instructor, many testomonials (including from a prominient local government official) and months of considersation from our parks director we decided to move forward. We have a fairly large slide catch area that is 3.5ft deep which is divided (not from the noise) from the rest of the pool. It sits unutilized (slides are closed) M-F until 3pm.

We agreed on allowing lessons between the hours of 10am to 3pm. I originally looked into an hourly rate for renting of this space but becasue their lessons are 10 min in length and there would be several times where there would be 30-45 minutes between lessons this option didn't make much sense. After all it is unutilized space for us. I moved to a per child fee. It works out to roughly an 80/20 split. Again, we are renting this space it is not a joint program. The instructor is responsible for registration and everything.

Since this past January the lessons have become so popular I increased the lesson window from 6am - 3pm.  I thought our instructor was crazy thinking he would get people so early. I kid you not he is doing one lesson after another during this entire time with one exception. Offering time to ISR while Senior Water Exercise was going on was a less than great idea. Or so I was told by 30 active older adluts. ISR students, new students in particular, CRY. A LOT.

With this in mind it has been very important for our instructor to let patrons know what the heck he is doing over there by the slides. He has been very good at talking to them and most importantly my lifeguard staff about the program. He also had a sign made that he roles out onto the deck during his lessons describing the lessons and their purpose.

Now for my, and everyone elses, biggest concern...there is a certain level of submersion with this program. Now, after several thousand lessons that have been held at my facility there have been no issues. Including vomit or defecation. Parents of children in the program fill out a BUDS (Bowel Urination Diet Sleep) Sheet. It tracks everything that it states and if one of the factors is not within a certain guideline the lesson is not held.

I certainly cannot say that this would be a good fit for everyone, but it has been a positive experience for me.

Thanks Jason for the feedback. Glad that this program is working out for you at your facility.

I picked up several ISR instructors about 2 years ago.  My facility also runs a popular Red Cross set of infant /parent classes. 

When I first looked into the ISR program, I had reservations about the methods.  I watched these classes with great concern, but now am fairly impressed.  Some details are different... some are the same as those I grew up teaching.  It gives me the ability to offer two different styles of presentation to my customers.  (The top end, with enough money for their own pools)

Now-  the difficulty.  You really can't schedule other activities in the same "sound system" as these little guys scream their lungs out for the first two weeks.  I've had one of my seniors from the exercise class (leaving while ISR was getting in) threaten to turn me in to Child Protective Services!   Most of the parents have their second or third child going through the program and help us educate the public about the value of ISR. 

I have a hard time with allowing a program that's only focus is on "self rescue" rather than on overall water adjustment and safety skills. The student is only in the water for a 10 minute lesson consisting of submersion and how to teach them to return to the surface and roll over on their back. That 10 minute lesson does not allow for water adjustment, and developing an enjoyment of the water, while educating the parents on water safety tips. To me, those are the most important aspects of aquatics that should be taught at that age, not "self-rescue".

RSS

© 2019   Created by AI Connect.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service