Our lifeguards have been requesting to listen to music on a stereo during slow times at our pool (we are an indoor YMCA facility).  I've been searching for the best practices on this and any other information about what other aquatics facilities do, but have been unable to find anything. 

Does your pool allow this?  Are there certain rules that must be followed (volume, type of music, when they can listen to it, etc)?

Are there certain reasons your pool does not allow this?

Any information would be very helpful!

Thanks!!!!!

Tags: listening, music, to

Views: 300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Only two concerns with music is one listening with phones and the other one is listening to loud affects our costumers enjoyment of the pool also if they play some music are not appropriated for a family environement facility.

I allowed music at our facility with the limitation above told.

Rebecca,

We play music over our facility sound system for both patron and staff enjoyment (nothing makes a 5am shift worse than no music). All radio station choices are at the discretion of the Manager-on-Duty though we do take patron/staff input. We will shut the music off in the pool area during programs but otherwise it's on.  Naturally we avoid offensive songs/stations and our staff are prohibited from having any electronic devices (including ipods) while on-stand.

Im on board with Nick, those early mornings as torture with just the sound of the water flowing through the gutters.  We take a similar approach, but we tend to go with Classic rock music.  Some of those other genres can get slow and make you sleepy.

When I'm M.O.D. it's almost ALWAYS classic rock! :)

Agreed Nick, You can't have it on during Programs or when it just becomes noise as part of a busy swim.

Totally all in on music. I really think as others have stated, it makes the 5am shift bearable. Make the pool more like a home. How many people either have the radio on, or the TV on and are doing something completely different where it is just background noise? When you go to a social event is there music in the background (radio, dj, band)? Are you still able to have a conversation with someone or drive with the radio on? It is an atmosphere you create. While I don't think you should play over the top and loud music (it is not a rave), I think it is a piece that I notice at particularly smaller pools when you have the "usual" lap swim.

Obviously you have to have the sound level at an appropriate level to communicate and respond in an emergency, but let's add this to create a little more "real" atmosphere. Why not let your employee of the week pick the music on Friday? Why not have your patron who is having a birthday that week pick the music for that swim? Most people realize it is a public place so they shouldn't pick something that is offensive (and if it is tell them you can't play that because of xyz).  

At a properly supervised aquatic facility I don't see the slightest problem...

I agree with Nick and everyone else.  Guest Services is our #2 priority (safety is always #1).  And part of our guest service training is making everyone feel as if they have a pool in their own back yard.  Most of us would have some kind of music, so we honor that.  Our facility sound system was not built to handle to different volume requirements of the locker room, information desk and pool area, so we have a "boom box" on the pool deck.  The employees can listen to a family friendly radio station or dock music w/ a family friendly play list.  We do not have it on during programmed times b/c of the aforementioned sound issue.  It is impossible for the students to hear the instructor.  I think our employees appreciate the diversion while still maintaining guest and member safety.  

RSS

© 2014   Created by AI Connect.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service